I am a sucker for terrain and one of the interests for this conflict was creating a jungle which I have done in my usual megalomaniac way. Part of this project was to create a village, which then developed into a fishing village with huts able to stand in the sea. Great for those coastal attacks as per Apocalypse Now.
As the majority of the build was scratch built I thought I would show off how I did it.
To start I cut an MDF base from a spare off cut I had. I then marked out the buildings I wanted on and the first was the commercially purchased building from the Sarissa range. A well designed and manufactured product the building gave me a good scale to work on the other scratchbuilt items.
However this buildings would have to fit in with the others that I made and wanted a lot more detail and character and so it underwent a transformation. First of all it was glued to the main base following assembly. Then the floor boards were added using cut down coffee stirrers.
Once in place I could position the other two buildings on the base. These had stilts made from wooden chop sticks that I had picked up some where. Seemed appropriate. The floor was added and then they both got their floor boards added.
I then added some wicker fencing, available from Empress Miniatures, to create what was originally going to be a pig pen but eventually turned into a vegetable patch.
At this point I had all of the buildings spaced out and glued onto the main base. Everything fitted well and not too cramped.
Next job was to put the mud floor on. This was done with ready made tile grout and fine sand. Have to say that I love this job as its quite therapeutic slapping the stuff on and moving it into position with some water to give more fluidity.
The two scratch built buildings were then created which is easy as they are simple box shapes. Once these were done I started on the roof of the Sarissa building. I wanted to have one with w tree bark roof with the central section made from old tattered material. Old cheese boxes were cut up and glued onto the Sarissa building roof. I made a scale mistaske at this point and made them too big but once they were dry I went back and distressed them into smaller panels.
All of the buildings had sacking cut and glued on to show the weave of the walls, even the Sarissa building. Once each wall was dry the windows and doors were cut out with a sharp knife.
Wooden supports were cut from coffee stirrers and glued on.
Next up were the two roofs of the other buildings. These were going to be straw so teddy bear fur was cut and glued on. Once dry brown emulsion from the local DIY centre was painted on to create a firm shape.
Once these were made the whole model was under coated with the brown matt paint.
Once dry the village was ready for painting. I wanted the buildings to lookm old and used so originally painted the wood very grey but when dry I realised that I had created the perfect black and white village straight out of an old photo which looked great but not what I wanted. I therefore added some browns and yellows to give it a bit of contrast and colour.
By using washes and dry brushing techniques the buildings gradually came alive.
Then some grass was added to give it a good contrast colour which would fit in with the jungle.
Plants were added to the veg patch.